Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

EU citizens

Europäische Flagge vor dem Europäischen Parlament in Brüssel

Europapolitik, © dpa

07.03.2018 - Artikel

If you are a citizen of a country in the European Union, you do not need a visa to visit Germany. More information can be found here.

Trips to Germany

It is not required for Swedish or other EU-citizens to get a visa for a business or tourist trip to Germany. However they must at all times during their stay in Germany be able to identify themselves with a valid passport or a national ID-card.

Please note that for Swedish citizens only the passport and the national ID card issued by the police are valid travel documents for trips to Germany. ID cards issued by banks, Skatteverket or other institutions as well as Swedish driving licenses are not valid for entry to Germany.

For stays in Germany exceeding 90 days

If you move to Germany to work, study or live there for longer than 90 days you are required to register with the registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt/Bürgerbüro) in the town/city you move to. Also please ensure that you have health insurance coverage for your stay.

nach oben